ANSBACH, Germany (March 30, 2016) – The clouds are clearing, the day is longer, and soon the smell of charcoal, hickory and meat will fill the air. Barbecue season is close at hand.
Each year about 600 fires and explosions occur with gas grills, causing injuries. Many of the accidents happen the first time a grill is ignited for the season or after the grill’s gas container is refilled and reattached.
Keep in mind that charcoal when burned in grills produces Carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments or poor ventilated areas.
REMEMBER: Grilling on balconies is not allowed.
For Barbecue Grill Safety Tips check out the fire department’s information table Friday at the Post Exchange at Urlas Community or contact the Fire Prevention Inspectors at 09802-83-2822 or DSN 467-2822.
You can also see grilling safety tips on the informational sheet here.
For more on the Directorate of Emergency Services, visit www.ansbach.army.mil/DirectoryD.html#DES. To print off or program into your phone emergency phone numbers, visit here.