TOO HOT TO CANDLE: USAG Ansbach fire department encourages safety with candle use

Candles can be both decorative and dangerous. (U.S. Army photo by Bryan Gatchell, USAG Ansbach Public Affairs)

Candles can be both decorative and dangerous. (U.S. Army photo by Bryan Gatchell, USAG Ansbach Public Affairs)

ANSBACH, Germany (Dec. 16, 2015) – As daylight dwindles with the approach of winter, homeowners often take a break from incandescent and fluorescent light by lighting candles in and around the home. Candles are often ornamental and are used for holiday celebrations during this time of year.

Candles are nevertheless open flames and ought to be treated with caution and care. If you use candles this season, note the following to help you stay safe:

  • Ensure candle holders are stout and steady and will not fall over or tip.
  • Ensure the surface a candle is on is not cluttered.
  • Loose hair and loose clothing can easily catch fire. Maintain caution while lighting a candle.
  • Before a candle burns itself down to a nub, put it out.
  • If you use medically prescribed oxygen, you should never use a candle in the same home.
  • In case of a power outages, have fully charged or battery-operated lantern or flashlight available. Do not use candles.
  • Extinguish all candle flames before going to bed or sleep.
  • Anything that can burn should be at minimum on foot away from any candles.

Always have emergency numbers pre-programmed into your phone. Find those numbers at http://ansbachhometownherald.com/emergency-numbers or www.ansbach.army.mil/EmergencyNumbers.html.

To learn more about the fire department and other emergency services at USAG Ansbach, visit www.ansbach.army.mil/DirectoryD.html#DES.

(Visited 48 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply