Appliance safety in offices

An evacuation of an office building at Barton Barracks took place Tuesday, May 17 when a personally owned toaster failed to work correctly, resulting in burnt toast, smoke, and activation of smoke detectors. A fire engine was deployed from the fire station at Katterbach Kaserne to Barton Barracks, and 30 personnel were evacuated from the building. There were no reported injuries. The USAG Ansbach Safety Office is conducting an accident investigation.

The Safety Office reminds personnel to inspect work spaces and identify appliances and equipment items not approved for use.  Those electronics that have been approved for use may include the initials and insignia of different safety testing organizations. Appliance users should look for UL-, FM-, VDE-, and UEV-approved appliances.

Appliances and equipment that fail to perform per manufacturer specifications must be removed.

All kitchen-type appliances (refrigerators, microwave ovens, coffee pots, and so forth) must be plugged directly into a wall outlet.

To learn more call the Safety Office at 0981-183-1670 or DSN 468-1670 or visit www.ansbach.army.mil/Safety.html.

(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply